An Indian Love Song

HE
Come close let me see your face
My love
Don’t hide the glow,
Don’t cover the fire
My love
Let me breath in your scent
Let me sleep in your manes
I am lost
In you
In your silken contour
In your brazen inferno
Give me life
Let me drink your core
Let me find my soul
In the magical nectar of your kiss

 SHE
How do I let you breath in me?
How do I burn you in my fire?
How do I lose myself in you?
How do I show my face to you
My face is veiled to follow the laws of my land
Our love will set a blaze, not only
The veil
But my land
Your land
The feud of old faiths and beliefs
The blood of numerous griefs
Will be on our hands

HE
What is my land?
What is your land?
Our heart hears both
The sound of temple bells
And
The cry of the muezzin
Our love will conquer all
The rage, the tears
The blood, the fears
We will write a new dharma
We will preach a new karma
Devoid of fear
swarming with love

(C) Juztamom

Shared with NaPoWriMo. The prompt was to rewrite a famous poem, giving it your own spin. I have used "An Indian Love Song" by Sarojini Naidu. Do read it. I am not sure if I was able to spin it differently or if I did any justice to her work. Her words are magical, any attempt to rewrite her poems is futile but it gives me an opportunity to read her again and again.

I did something similar few months back, as in I tried working on one of her other poems "A Cradle Song" 
Do read my attempt on it. Its called "Little Lovely Dreams". This poem is very close to my heart for various reasons. One of the most important being, I sing it as a lullaby to my kids even now.

Some of the fellow participants:



Comments