Review: Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text

Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text by Peg Boyle Single
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Obviously, there's a particular audience for this type of book (doctoral students), but it is a solid book with some clear and direct tools to use in order to prepare for the path down the dissertation. I strongly recommend it for students who are about to enter a doctoral program as though I am still finding it helpful, I think having it (and following its recommendations) from the start, I would be in a much better place. I appreciated how Single's method moves you from ideas to a focus statement to an outline to detailed outline to mini-papers to full-blown work. Beyond the structural approaches and considerations, Single also drops different hints and hacks that can be helpful for the doctoral student (such as putting a "To-Do" list at the top of any dissertation document to work through what needs to get done). Like many other books, she iterates the fact that it's essential to create a writing habit that doesn't consist of trying to find the large chunks of time. Now, if we can have a book on how to perfect that that works well, I think I'll be all set!

View all my reviews



Did you enjoy this read? Let me know your thoughts down below or feel free to browse around and check out some of my other posts!. You might also want to keep up to date with my blog by signing up for them via email.


Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Comments