Indo-European Etymological Dictionaries: A Guide for the Perplexed

Indo-European Etymological Dictionaries: A Guide for the Perplexed
Over the last three years I have worked more-or-less intensively and widely on Indo-European etymological problems as a research associate in Indo-European comparative linguistics on the Cognacy in Basic Lexicon project with the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History. Over the course of this project I have had to check and revise hundreds and hundreds of etymologies from of historical and modern Indo-European languages, from Albanian to Welsh and nearly everything in between. (I’d say Albanian to Zazaki to have a nice Indo-European A–Z, but we don’t currently have Zaza data). While I hardly can be expected to be an expert on the historical grammar of every single Indo-European language (and I emphasise that we do consult with experts on individual branches and languages where necessary), as the main editor of the cross-branch Indo-European cognate judgements I do need to know where I can find reliable cognacy information on all the languages involved...
Part 2: Anatolian Etymological Dictionaries

Comments